Sharing a Drink with the Midnight Sun Sharing a Drink with the Midnight Sun

Honestly, the more I listen to this piece, the more it impresses me— especially basically everything 1:07-1:30, which is just one wild compositional surprise party after another. I know I've said this already, but incredible work, and a well-deserved victory in composition. Usually piano pieces like these are frankly kind of dull to me, but this went so many interesting and satisfying harmonic places that I never lost interest.

GGWP, LSD! Please continue to be awesome!

LucidShadowDreamer responds:

Aww, thank you!

After repeating the same melody (with variations), I thought I should come up with something new before the end part. I got lucky and just heard those silly modulations inside my mind and thought they fit in perfectly! Thus, I tried to find them on the keys, and I think it went well enough ^___^

It's not the first time I've been told by someone that they generally are bored by many piano pieces, but that they enjoyed mine! Conversely, others tell me that my tracks can be unstructured or too flowy/similar. I'm just happy to do my own thing, and even happier if you and others found them enjoyable!

Thanks a lot, and congrats to you as well, for the thrice in a row victory! :3

EspiDev - Parfait [Kawaii Future Bass] EspiDev - Parfait [Kawaii Future Bass]

Actually enjoyed this one quite a bit, especially the chord progression. Loving the squeaky toy sounds!

That said, few criticisms:
-The sound effects need a bit more thought in how you add them in— If the musical portion is too sparse they can be really jarring rather than contributive. (This especially goes for the "yeah!" it seriously startled me a few times haha)
-Speaking of sparsity, tonal elements seemed to spontaneously drop in and out without warning. Chords would leap onstage, say something short, and then leap off, leaving me all alone with the ambient sounds effects and the percussion. Don't do that to me! I get lonely easily :(
-Also, the kick could stand to be louder. Like, 5 times louder. Plus some more sidechaining might be nice.
-The piano is suuuuuuper dry. Don't be afraid to turn up that reverb! It gives your sounds a lot more body, especially acoustic ones.

So on the whole, a cool track with a lot of potential that had some basic mixing and arrangement issues. Should be easy enough to improve in future pieces.

Cool work!

Lose Control [Connected Sounds Release] Lose Control [Connected Sounds Release]

This is pretty sharp, man! Solid job, I hope you make it to the next round :D
A few of my main criticisms:
-Weirdly, one of the things that bothered me the most were the drum fills at 0:37, 0:50, 1:54, and 2:07. Not only did they feel out of character of the piece overall, which in general was kind of laid-back with respect to rhythm, but also they were exactly the same every time. (I'm also assuming they were loops, which I'm not a fan of to be honest.) The mid-drop tom fills were cliché but not as objectionable in my opinion
-In general I though the bare-bones, no-bells-and-whistles feel of the track was pretty neat, but a couple moments felt a little too empty for my taste, especially the first few measures after the brass stabs at 1:30 and 0:13 (which were sick by the way) and the moment after the first drop (I know there's that quiet arp but it's just not enough for me)
-1:44 was s w e e t but for some reason that specific bass felt too loud for me in comparison to everything else in the drops (again at 1:51 and 2:00)
-The ending was kinda neat but overall didn't feel very final. I was missing some giant chord resolve with the choir and brass and everything, not just some growls and a bitcrushed evil laugh
-There wasn't really a melody like, at all, anywhere, but I can overlook that considering the genre
All that said, I actually thought it was really cool, I just felt like it had some moments of potential that weren't quite realized. Again, I think a more melodic section between the drops (a real melody, not just chords, and longer) would have also given the song more interest value and also duration because it's kind of short.
Anyway, nice work, and good luck in the next NGUAC phase if that happens
-Miyo

GobSmacked responds:

Thanks man i really appreciate it that you took ur time and went through the whole song and constructively crticised it, i really appreciate that. And yeah I agree there were some points where i really didnt add to much or i was kinda lazy or felt like i had to finish the track asap. Ill try to keep improving!!!!

"Just... a dream?" Inktober day 9 "Just... a dream?" Inktober day 9

I'm a musician, not an artist, so it's hard for me to articulate what exactly I'm finding so fascinating about this series, but the fact remains that I've been checking here every day to see what new scene you've pulled together for Willow to sit/sleep/swing/be frightened in. I'm a big fan of accompanying a story with another art form, so that's probably part of the reason why I'm enjoying these so much.

Anyways, I'm really curious to see where you're going with these, and I'm actually finding it really inspiring. Keep it up!

Zaccura responds:

I'm so glad when my artworks are able to speak to all kinds of people, not just other visual artists. And I hope to continue to do so! Thank you so much for your support! :D